Sunday, November 29, 2009

Advent

The word Advent is Latin for "the coming". It is a time of spiritual reflection and joyful anticipation. Our family celebrates Advent by reading the scriptures, lighting a candle, and doing good deeds for those around us. Some people have an Advent calender and some have an Advent wreath. I like the wreath, it feels more symbolic to me and I am sort of a traditional gal that way. If you go the wreath route you will need 5 candles, 3 purple, one rose and one white. This year I am going to decorate my candle holder using some clippings from the magnolia tree in my yard and maybe some fresh herbs to make it look a little wreathyer (yes, I'm pretty sure that is a word!).
Check in every Sunday if you'd like to join us!





The first Sunday of Advent gives us the message of HOPE.
We light one purple candle and read Isaiah 7:13-14 and Luke 1:26-38



Say a prayer and extinguish the candle.


Today's good deed is to clean up something for someone else. You can do a chore that someone else normally does, rake the neighbors leaves or hep clean up a mess that you didn't make. Remember to do it in love and with a smile on your face!


Here are some other ideas for this week
-bake a plate of cookies for a neighbor
-visit an elderly person
-play a game as a family
-make a wreath -  paper, fresh greens, candy, tissue paper - any type, just have fun !
-put a Christmas CD in the car and play it all week
-write a Christmas card to someone special and stick it in the mail


I love the Advent season and I pray that you celebrate in a way that brings you a renewed spirit and joyful heart!

4 comments:

say what?