Friday, May 1, 2009

The Story of Abigail Marie

























































My brother Brian and my Sister in Law Jennifer gave birth to their 1st baby girl, my niece, Abigail Marie on Wednesday April 29th, 2009 at 8am. She was born full term via C-section due to her breech position. Feelings changed very quickly from joy to to fear as she was not breathing at birth. They worked feverishly on her and after some work they got her breating. My brother followed after as they took Baby Abigail to the NICU. As if the breathing weren't enough he quickly learned that there was so much more to worry about. Abigail has Spina Bifida. She was born with a legion about the size of an apricot on the small of her back. She also has a cleft lip and fistula on her head. The doctors worked for several hours to stabilize her enough to have her medi-flighted to L.A. She was flown to Cedar Sinai hospital and my brother followed close behind driven by his very good friend Mendo. Jennifer was unable to go as she was recovering from her C-section. Bryan and I arrived at the hospital around 6 pm. She was stable but we arrived just as they were getting the news that precious little Abigail would likely never walk. My brother is as head strong as they come, an Air Force man, been to Iraq and back, a B.A.M.F. (think on it, you'll figure it out), and I got there just in time to catch him as he wilted into my arms. He is the strongest guy I know and seeing him crumble was almost more than I could stand! After washing up really well and putting hand sanitizer on we got to go in and meet our neice! She is absolutly beautiful!!! We were able to touch her through the holes on the side of her bed. She is so precious!!!! Her skin is so soft and she has the face of an angel. My heart overflowed at the sight of her. Here she is, this tiny baby less than 12 hours old and fighting for her life, yet you can see the innocence and a peace in her face that is truly awe inspiring. The doctors and nurses needed to tend to her so we had to leave for the night. We were informed that at less than a day old she would go in for major surgery. At 7:30 Thursday morning she went in for surgery and did not come out until 1pm. The surgery was 2 part. 1st they repaired the spinal legion in her back. The neurosergon was able to do everything he wanted to do and Abigail did not have any complications during his part. He came out to tell us that all had gone as well as could be expected and things looked good. The 2nd part was the work of the reconstructive sergon. He needed to close the legion in her back and bring the skin together. Again, it all went well. He was able to do everything he wanted to and the procedure went as well as it could have. Abigail did not have any complications with the anesthesia. She came back in to the room and seemed to be resting comfortably. We prayed over her again and thanked God for all of the blessings He has given us. It was SO hard to have to leave her but after all she had been through and seeing how far she had come I knew we were leaving her and my brother on good terms. She is a fighter! She has my brother, her Daddy, there fighting for her as well. She has some of the most skilled and knowledgable doctors in the world taking care of her. She has everyone I know praying for her and I know she will make great strides! Today we were told that she continues to get great news. She is already weaned off of the pain meds and doing quite well. They also had to prick her foot and she made a wincing face indicating that she has some feeling in her feet. She is responding to my brothers voice and touch, something that makes my heart warm to hear! She has an uphill battle but she is a fighter and I know she will overcome them one at a time! Jennifer was released from the hosptal today and will be able to join her newborn baby tomorrow. I am sure the last few days have been overwhelming for her and I am so glad she will be able to see her Miracle tomorrow. I am so proud of my brother! He is being the best Daddy to her and he is Strong and sensitive all at the same time. He is taking in the news and dealing with one problem at a time. He is handling everthing 10 times better than I could and he has a strength I have never seen before! Amazing! I love my niece more than I can even put in to words and I pray for her constantly. Abigail Marie, a miracle, a joy, an angel, a fighter, a blessing....



post signature

7 comments:

  1. You can tell just by looking at her that Abigail is a fighter. I'm sure it comes from her Daddy. She is at the forefront of my mind almost ever moment.

    I will continue to pray for her and for your brother and his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!!!!!!! I can't get her out of my mind! We are praying for her constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you all. Won't stop praying here either! Hugs to Mama Nelda and Papa Tom, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful baby and what an inspiration she is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caryn...I will be praying also...she is a doll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet little face! It sounds like there have been so many miracles already, and I'm praying that those miracles continue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful story and beautiful baby

    ReplyDelete

say what?